doctor holding a clipboard

OB/GYN vs. Urologist

For women, it can be confusing to know what conditions to see an OB/GYN for and what to see a urologist for? Many times if a woman has an established relationship with her OB/GYN, she might be more comfortable going to her with an issue, but is that doctor really going to be the expert on her condition?

It’s not uncommon for women to assume they can see their OB/GYN for most issues that occur below your waistline. However, that’s not the case. OB/GYNs specialize in caring for pregnant women and conditions of the female reproductive system. A urologist sees and treats diseases and disorders relating to the kidney and bladders for both men and women.

For any issue related to your bladder like urinary incontinence or overactive bladder, see a urologist. A urologist sees and treats conditions like these on a daily basis and will be most familiar with them along with the best course of treatment. If you have a urinary stone or infection, a urologist is also the person you should see.

For women who are going through menopause, a gynecologist can help women manage symptoms. However, a urologist can help them with any other health conditions they may experience later on after menopause like pelvic organ prolapse or incontinence.

If you have infertility issues, many times women will consult with their OB/GYN first; however, a urologist can see and treat both partners to discover what the issue may be.

If you’re experiencing general abdominal discomfort, it might be best to consult with your primary care doctor first. He or she can then determine the problem, the cause and what specialist you should see.

Find A Physician
Powered by Lapero